Monday, January 4, 2010

really, someone else should be writing about cold weather. but i'll take a whack at it.

One of FIFA president Sepp Blatter's favorite topics is how the MLS should switch to a European schedule, playing from August to May like the leagues there do. Obviously, Sepp Blatter has never been to the US during the winter. I've never left the southeast, so I can only speak for the rest of the country on hearsay, but it was in the 20s and teens yesterday in Atlanta, so I can imagine how cold it is in places that actually get "real winter". Which would cover 11 of the 16 MLS teams.

I've sat out at Georgia Tech football games in almost-freezing weather. It was bearable, only because we were jumping around like crazy in 6 layers of clothing. I can't imagine being out in anything colder, so props to everyone who does. Over the weekend I watched an FA Cup match where Middlesbrough hosted Manchester City. The stadium was practically empty, with temperatures in the 20s and snow falling. I'd bet that the lack of attendance had a lot more to do with the weather than fans not caring about the FA Cup.

If the MLS were to switch to the "European Schedule" as Blatter wants, the league's attendance would really suffer. I'm sure the hardcore fans would still go out to a game if it was around ten degrees outside, but the casual fans most likely wouldn't. In a world where if you aren't Seattle, your attendance is mocked, dropping attendance is the last thing anyone wants to see. From a purely personal point of view, I like that the league plays through the summer because it gives me something to watch. I feel like I have more to say, but really, all I have is that I don't like the idea of the league switching to the European schedule. Let the Europeans keep their schedule, we'll do things our own way.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy, nothing like ol' Sepp showing his flexibility...getting his foot back in his mouth again!

    I mean, what's odd is that the US is not the only non-traditional schedule. Surely Blatter wants Scandinavia and Russia to get in line as well. But how much of this is the result of the 1994 World Cup (and its extraordinarily high temperatures, according to Europeans), which ironically was caused by scheduling games for European primetime?

    ReplyDelete